Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You’re the One That I Want?

Grease is the word! I’m beyond thrilled to get the amazing opportunity to be the assistant director for our Visiting Artist’s production of the musical. After waiting impatiently all November, auditions finally arrived. I’ve never AD’d a production of this size before (in the past I’ve worked on small basement lab shows), and I’ve never worked on the production side of a musical. I felt a bit at sea, having no clue what to expect.

This audition was run differently from past KSU auditions. The style was closer to a professional cattle call; everyone danced first, then they were divided into groups to sing. It was strange to see how nervous the change in routine made everyone. There were rumors that Mac, the director, was going to cut people before they would be allowed to sing, and that only superior dancers would be looked at. Everyone looked terrified as they entered the dance call, but the choreographer, Todd, was amazing at making everyone feel at ease. My favorite quote? “Okay. You’ve learned the choreography…now screw the choreography! Entertain us! ... If you’re going to fall on your face, fall with panache!” My main duties during callbacks were to keep headshots and resumes straight, and occasionally offer my opinion. It was interesting to see the way I saw auditions from the people I knew, in many cases my friends, and they way they were looked at by an outsider.

Throughout the whole process, I was so nervous I was shaking occasionally. Nervous for the show, for the actors, everything. I looked at Mac partway though auditions to ask if he still got nervous too… and he told me he was a wreck. Maybe some things never change…

--Sarah Coon (Assistant Director, Grease)

No comments:

Post a Comment