Thursday, December 9, 2010

American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA)

The ADTA is an organization that began in 1966 to support the emerging profession of dance/movement therapy. The purpose of the organization is to establish, maintain, and support the highest standards of professional identity and competence among dance/movement therapists by promoting education, training, practice, and research. The ADTA also provides avenues of communication among dance/movement therapists and those working in related fields, and increases public awareness of dance/movement therapy.

I am a member of the ADTA, and got a wonderful opportunity in September to attend the 45th annual ADTA conference in Brooklyn, New York. The conference was entitled “Creating the Mind-Body Mosaic: Theory, Research, and Practice in Dance/Movement Therapy." My experience there was wonderful; I attended six seminars in which I learned many new things about dance therapy. I was also able to network with many people and build a professional associate contact list. Out of all of my experiences at the conference, I am most delighted to report is that I was invited to be a part of the new organization, BAAD (Black American and African Descents Affinity Group for Mental Health Practitioners). It is a brand new organization and I have the opportunity to be one of the founding members. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have attended the conference; my eyes have been opened to many new things and my spirit is joyful and excited about continuing my education in Dance/Movement Therapy.

--LaDonna Curry (BFA Dance Major)

No comments:

Post a Comment