Thursday, December 9, 2010

Caring behind the audition table

Being on the other side of the table at an audition was a very interesting experience. I have always been the one performing for the people sitting behind the table hoping that I get cast, but this time the pressure was off in that manner and the pressure was on in a new way. Being behind the table brought a new sense of unease in wondering who in this wonderful group of auditionees would be able to fulfill the needs of my piece, but also be able to rehearse on the weekends. To my surprise, I found many dancers I believed would be great for the work and could rehearse on the weekend! My nerves had not yet subsided though because the process of selecting dancers with the other SDF choreographers was yet to come. I feared that even though the process seemed simple enough that with fourteen choreographers I would still have trouble casting the dancers I wanted. To my surprise the whole process was quick and painless. I got all three dancers I wanted and it seemed to me that all the other choreographers were also very pleased with the process, as well as the dancers they were able to cast. I think this was because not only were we very organized (thanks to the amazing duo, Joan Meggitt and Sabatino Verlezza), but also I feel our group is full of very understanding, level-headed individuals, who care for one another. That's what I love most about the group that I have been privileged to work and create with since Modern I/Comp I-- that we care for one another and no matter what is going on. We are all about serving the work. We realize that we are here to serve our work.

--Ebby Howarth (BFA Dance Major)

No comments:

Post a Comment