Monday, December 6, 2010

Verlezza Dance Concert

As a freshman dance minor at Kent State University, I knew that I would be affected by my experiences in the dance program, but I had no idea that one concert would have such a huge impact on my life.
The concert that I am referring to is the Verlezza Dance concert, which took place in September for DisAbility Awareness Month. This particular concert was performed by the Verlezza Dance Company, consisting of dancers of all types, including those with physical and mental handicaps. Because my modern dance instructor, Barbara Verlezza, was one of the founders of Verlezza Dance, I had the opportunity to dance in a piece, not knowing exactly what to expect.
The performance was absolutely stunning…it began with a duet between Sabatino Verlezza, the co-founder of the company, and a girl who was confined to a wheelchair. They twirled around the stage with such grace that by the end of the dance, I forgot that she even had a disability. This piece was followed by an ensemble that included woman with cerebral palsy dancing as Lady Gaga. It was uplifting to see that these people were able to overcome their so-called limitations to dance for us.
The piece that I had the privilege to be a part of was a large group number comprised of elderly dancers. It incorporated sign language and audience participation, to a song entitled “Angel.” This piece was dedicated to the members of the company who had passed away that year. I was especially moved by the brilliance of the choreography and the power of the movements. I was personally affected by this concert, as my aunt passed away from cerebral palsy this past year. She had never had the chance to dance, or walk for that matter, but I was honored and amazed to see just what those we perceive as disabled have the ability to do.
One elderly disabled gentleman had an important message: just because he has a disability, doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have dance in his heart. This statement moved the majority of the audience, as well as me, to tears. The Verlezza Dance Concert was an eye-opener for all involved, and was nothing like what I expected to experience through Kent State’s Dance program.
I recently changed my major to Psychology, and combined with my dance minor, I plan to pursue a career in dance therapy. I had always been uncertain as to what I want to do with my life, but those dancers were my inspiration. If I can change one life with the power of dance, or make one person feel what I did the night of that concert, then I will have had a successful life.

--Shayna Fischer (Dance Minor)

No comments:

Post a Comment