Wednesday, December 1, 2010

SDF Student Director: My Experience Thus Far...

For the 2010-2011 academic year, I am the Student Artistic Director of the 2011 Student Dance Festival. Working alongside Assistant Professor and Faculty Artistic Director Joan Meggitt, I have been given the chance to lead a wonderful group of 14 choreographers (one being myself) who will premiere 14 new works in March 2011!

My main focus for the semester was to set up and produce the audition, in which anyone enrolled in a KSU School of Theatre and Dance studio dance technique class (majors and non-majors) could attend. Going into the process I was unaware of how difficult it could be to organize and find 28 different rehearsal times (2 per choreographer) that fit into the Spring 2011 studio schedules. However, the audition, which took place on October 27, 2010, went extremely well and every choreographer was able to choose a suitable cast that worked with everyone’s schedule.

This wonderful leadership opportunity has already taught me so much, and we haven’t even got into the thick of things yet. Next semester I will be working on other projects such as writing the press release for the concert and creating my premiere piece to contribute to the concert. Again, this position has been great and challenging all at the same time and I look forward to seeing it through to opening night!

--Sabatino A. Verlezza (BFA Dance Major/SDF Student Artistic Director)

No comments:

Post a Comment