Thursday, December 9, 2010

For the Love of Cotton

As dancers, we all have that one piece of clothing we love to wear to class: that one leotard that fits just perfectly, the pair of faded-to-grey-but-once-black dance pants with the hole in the knee, or the fuzzy socks worn thin at the heel. Clothes shouldn’t have an effect on how well you perform in class, but they do. My favorite thing that makes taking class just feel better is a pair of secondhand purple leg-warmers that I have no doubt were meant to live with me.

I found them in a thrift store about three years ago for a couple dollars and I think the dance gods up above sent them to me. I’m pretty positive they graced the calves of Hanya Holm in their past life. No matter how many times I leave them behind somewhere, which is extremely often, they find their way home to me. They have become a part of my everyday life, and experienced most of the important moments I have had in the dance department here at Kent State. I do not look forward to the day they will wear out completely and I will have to put them to rest.

This post is to commemorate those special pieces of clothing that have been through thick and thin, sweat and blood, and have always got your back (or calves, in my case).

--Michelle Brown (BFA Dance Major)

No comments:

Post a Comment