Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Preparing for Dance 2010

After the Dance Division moved into its new home in the Music and Speech Center, the School of Theatre and Dance was all under one roof. This made a big difference during tech week of Dance 2010 because the dancers were able to warm up in our brand new dance studios. After warm-up, it was a short walk to the theatre. I really noticed the difference on Sunday, the first day of tech week. My call was 45 minutes before I had to be onstage. During those 45 minutes, the dancers had access to the studios for warming up. Each of us had our own unique way to warm up and prepare our bodies for the rigorous week ahead of us. My warm-up process included both physical and mental preparation. I try to prepare myself for specific movements in my pieces as well as my performance quality. I also make sure my muscles are warm and ready to go! Last year, the dance studios were about a five minute hike across campus, so we could not warm up in the studios during concert week. What a difference a year can make! Every day the dancers learn new things about our new home in Music and Speech, and we really enjoy being under the same roof as the rest of the school!

In these photographs are some of the Rainbow Concerto dancers preparing for our rehearsal on the Sunday of tech week for Dance 2010.

Rainbow Warm-up 1

Rainbow Warm-up 2

--Jessica Kinsey (BFA Dance Major)

No comments:

Post a Comment