Thursday, December 9, 2010

Dance’10: TranscenDANCE

On December 3-5, 2010, Dance ’10: TranscenDANCE was presented by the Kent State University Dance Division in E. Turner Stump Theatre. Two words to describe the show as a whole are “Pleasant Chaos”. Those word fit perfectly to me because I felt as though there was a lot going on-- I felt a sense of hurriedness and chaos-- yet with each performance came on clear movement and pleasant presentation. It was delightful to see graceful and traditional ballet lines, along with more rigid and right-angled clean and direct movement. The colors chosen for lighting and costuming also accompanied a feeling of fall and winter, with pretty light blues and purples, and also orange, burgundy, forest green, brown and navy blues, these different colors all used in separate pieces truly added to the atmosphere of the choreography. I enjoyed the show as a whole, however there where two specific pieces that took residence in my spirit and made my heart smile. Those two pieces are Rainbow Concerto choreographed by Andrea Shearer and Sustained By a Breath choreographed by Erin S. Smith. It was pleasing to see the ballet lines in Rainbow Concerto yet refreshing to have a feeling of strength and desire while watching Sustained by a Breath. TranscenDANCE was just the pleasant break I needed right before finals, and I am truly proud of all my fellow dancers.

--LaDonna Curry (BFA Dance Major)

No comments:

Post a Comment