Monday, August 2, 2010

Edinburgh Fringe Festival Post #2


Hello from Amsterdam! After a six hour flight from New York, I have arrived in Amsterdam and am waiting to board my final flight to Scotland. I am already having an excellent time! Let me tell you, KLM international flights are top notch...apparently. And of course, they are even better when you sit in an exit row. I could have swung a cat over my head in my seat and not hit anyone, had I remembered to bring my cat. And the airport! Oh, man the airport! Coolest airport I’ve ever seen! I’ll upload some pictures if I can figure it out. It’s like a Mall Of America in here! I’ve just returned from eating my honest-to-goodness Dutch Haagen-Daas, while viewing paintings from famous Dutch Masters in the airport art gallery. There’s a library here, where you can choose to read either via iPad or a real paper and glue book in plush 1970s style spherical lounge chairs hanging from the ceiling. Or perhaps you’d like to lounge around or sleep in front of a fire in a nice leather gentleman’s armchair, of which there are several. Or you can get an aqua-massage, where you lay inside of a plastic tarp and they pelt your back with high pressure water. Or...I was thinking on the plane about how bored I would be during my four hour layover, but now we’re forty minutes from scheduled boarding, and I have yet to begin the work I should be doing!

I’m amazed how much English there is here as well. In fact, my friend from the plane informed me that Holland requires that all official signs be in English. How spoiled we are! Almost everyone here speaks English and the few that do not are standing next to someone that does.

But alas, I have work to do. I need to make sure that the script that I will use to instruct the crew every night on what to do and when during the show - called a production book - is up to snuff. After it’s completed and I’ve spoken with the designers and the director, I’ll take a picture of that too. So long from Amsterdam, next stop Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment